This dish is so easy, delicious and has a vegetarian option!
Serves 4-6 – Prep: 10 minutes – Bake: 15 minutes –
Let stand: 5 minutes
Three 5 or 6oz. cans chunk white albacore (dolphin free) tuna
(OR if looking to make vegetarian you can use one 16 oz. can chick peas/garbanzo beans, mashed with a fork or masher)
4-6 oz. shredded swiss cheese or vegan cheese (or you can cut into small chunks/pieces if you don’t have shredded)
12 slices whole wheat or multi-grain bread, crusts cut off
2-3 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoon mayonnaise or vegan mayo
1 heaping teaspoon curry powder (a little more or less depending on your taste)
2 tablespoons dried cranberries or raisins
Non-stick olive oil cooking spray
Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat muffin tray (for 12 muffins) with cooking spray.
- Drizzle or lightly brush one side of bread with olive oil and press oil side up into muffin cups. (You could use melted butter if you want, I use the olive oil and it was very tasty and much healthier)
- In a bowl combine tuna or mashed chickpeas, 1 tablespoon olive oil, mayo, cheese, curry powder, cranberries or raisins, and salt & pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Divide mixture into each bread-lined muffin cup.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until filling is bubbly hot and browning.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
*As with all my recipes, I encourage you to make it your own! You like it cheesy, add more cheese! Want a little more sweetness, add more cranberries! You get the idea.
I like to serve it with a green salad and chopped apple on the side.