I’m so happy my kids are into eating clean meals and as a busy mom I’m always looking for ways to prepare healthy meals in a hurry. This recipe is yummy, easy and sure to please everyone in your home.
Serves 4 – Paleo and Gluten-Free
Ingredients for Salmon:
- 4 – 6 ounce salmon filets (wild caught, if possible)
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- olive oil spray (optional)
- 4 tablespoons Tamari low sodium soy sauce
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges, seeds removed
- 2 chopped scallions (optional)
- sea salt and fresh pepper to taste
Ingredients for kale-avocado slaw
1 cup each shredded:
- red cabbage
- green cabbage
- 1 cup arugula or other lettuce coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (optional but adds such a lovely sweet flavor)
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 cup green, red, orange or yellow peppers (or a mixture) chopped (optional)
- 1/2 fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
(I have to be honest here, my local market sells a lovely pre-packaged organic chopped slaw that is ready to use. It costs a little more but makes getting dinner on the table easier. I just toss in the other ingredients and it’s ready to go!)
Get creative with the salad and add/replace any ingredients you like or have on hand.
To prepare salmon:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Gently rinse and pat dry salmon filets
- Lightly coat baking dish with olive oil or olive oil spray
- Lay salmon skin side down in dish
- Lightly salt and pepper fish
- Drizzle several tablespoons of olive oil and Tamari soy sauce over fish
- Place in oven and bake approximately 15-20 minutes (depending on thickness of fish)
- Check fish and spoon over fish surrounding juices
- Turn on oven broiler.
- Squeeze a few of the lemon wedges over fish (You can also add another little drizzle of olive oil and Tamari sauce if you like.)
- Place fish at least 6 inches under broiler and broil for 2-6 minutes or until desired doneness. (I usually set my kitchen timer for 2 minute intervals and check it as I’m getting the salad ready.)
- When done, you should be able to easily flake the salmon apart with a fork. The middle should also be opaque. The extra few minutes broiling gives it an extra texture and flavor boost.
Remove from oven and place on platter.
Squeeze on more lemon and garnish with lemon wedges and sprinkle scallions on top.
Add more salt and pepper to taste.
You can even drizzle on a little more Tamari if you like.
To prepare salad:
- Mix the kale, cabbage, arugula, peppers and avocado in large bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil and fresh lemon juice over all (adding more or less to taste)
- Lightly salt & pepper to taste.
- Toss all together
Serve Kale slaw along side fish and enjoy!