Salads and what you dress them with are full of wonderful, nutritional ingredients that are vital to a healthy body.
This recipe is a guide, but think about using up the odds and ends in the fridge. If you don’t have exactly what’s on the list, improvise! You could add some tuna, grilled chicken or beans for a protein punch. Enjoy!
Makes 4 servings
- 6 cups fresh salad greens like butter, red-leaf, spinach or romaine, mix it up!
- 1 handful of arugula and or kale (wash and air or spin dry all greens)
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 1/2-1 heirloom tomato, or hand full chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 medium cucumber, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 4 dandelion greens (optional)
- 1 carrot, shaved with a vegetable peeler
- 4 chopped fresh basil sprigs
- 5 chopped fresh cilantro sprigs
- 1-2 teaspoon hemp seeds (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoons toasted sunflower seeds or almonds (spread on a baking sheet and roast at 300 for just a few minutes, they toast fast so keep an eye on them!)
Get a big salad bowl that you absolutely love and make sure there is lots of room to toss it up.
Throw in the lettuce. Add the arugula, avocado, tomato, and cucumber and whatever other veggies you’re playing with. Top with the dandelion greens, carrot shavings, and herbs. Sprinkle with the seeds and nuts. Lightly salt & pepper if you like. Drizzle the dressing (ideas below) directly onto the salad and toss. And voila! Your super salad is ready for you and the gang!
Apple Cider Vinaigrette:
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- Whisk all together in a bowl until creamy.
- 2 1/2 tablespoons infused olive oil (basil, truffle, etc.) OR extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Juice of 1/2 orange (or a little more lemon if you don’t have orange)
- 1/2 teaspoon grated vegan Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Whisk together until creamy.
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
Place all the ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. Adjust the amount of liquid to obtain nice creamy dressing.